Join Brad Guigar and his friend Dave Kellett every week as they talk comics and making a living from comics.
ComicLab Episode 200
Today's show is brought to you by Wacom — makers of the powerful, professional, portable Wacom One! Help us celebrate our 200th show at ComicLabCashGrab.com ! We're celebrating 200 episodes of ComicLab with a special king-sized episode in which we assemble a list of our best advice — and discuss how to best implement them. If you want the commemorative magnet with all 20 tips, head over to ComicLabCashGrab.com
The 20 Comics Commandments
- Make. A. Good. Comic. Nothing else we talk about will be very effective until you do.
- Own and control your work.
- Ideas aren't special. The execution of ideas is special.
- You can't get worse at something you do every day.
- Good writing saves bad art. Rarely does that work in reverse.
- You can't drive toward your style, you can only see in the rearview mirror.
- Lettering: Nobody will read your comic...if they can’t read your comic. And for goodness' sake, learn the Crossbar-I rule.
- Time is the best editor. So edit...wait...edit...wait.
- If you’re not enjoying the comic, they’re not enjoying the comic.
- The 4-Cs of social media are: Creation, Curation, Commercial, Kindness.
- Don’t compare your blooper reel to someone else’s highlight reel.
- You have the audience you deserve.
- Every day someone is reading your comic for the first time.
- Research your market...not your mirror.
- Never listen to a reader; always listen to your readers.
- The first person to say they want merch is the first person to disappear when you make the merch.
- Crowdfunding: First comes the crowd, then comes the funding.
- It’s easy to be in the right place at the right time…if you’re always there.
- No one will ever care about your career as much as you do, so make your own magic.
- Being an overnight success will take you about 10 years. Your career is a marathon, not a sprint.
Today is a great time to bump up your ComicLab membership to the $10 tier! Patreon backers at that level will get exclusive access to livestream recording sessions — as well as an archive of previous livestreams!
You get great rewards when you join the ComicLab Community on Patreon
- $2 — Early access to episodes
- $5 — Submit a question for possible use on the show AND get the exclusive ProTips podcast. Plus $2-tier rewards.
- $10 — Gain access to the ComicLab livestreamed recording sessions (including an archive of past livestreams), plus $5-tier rewards
Listen to ComicLab on...
ComicLab is hosted on Simplecast, helping podcasters since 2013. with industry-leading publishing, distribution, and sharing tools.