How to make a square-format video in iMovie
Exclusive for my Webcomics.com subscribers: iMovie is a great tool for producing quick and easy video to promote your comic on social media. However, it has only two options for aspect ratios — Widescreen (16:9) and Standard (4:3). Unfortunately, these aren’t good fits for social media — particularly Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok. After struggling with several workarounds and stopgap measures, I finally developed a clever way to get the square shape I want without learning more complicated software like Premiere Pro. Here's a simple step-by-step tutorial.
ComicLab 106 — Buying AdvertisingThis episode of ComicLab is sponsored by Wacom! On this week's show, the ComicLab guys talk about buying advertising. Actually, the discussion centers more closely on where NOT to buy ads. Then they advise a writer who is on their third draft and struggling to get to a finished version. And finally, the guys discuss what comics do better than any other medium. But first, we can learn a lot about comics craft in watching "The Madalorian." Questions asked and topics covered...
- If you had $10k to spend on advertising, where would you spend that money?
- "I'm on my third draft, and I'm having trouble with getting to a finished draft. How can I rework my writing better?"
- What do comics do better than any other medium?
- $2 — Early access to episodes
- $5 — Submit a question for possible use on the show AND get the exclusive ProTips podcast
- $10 — Record an audio question for possible use on the show AND get the exclusive ProTips podcast
- $50 — Sponsor the show! We’ll read a brief promo for your comic/product and read it twice during the show AND you get the exclusive ProTips podcast