Today's show is brought to you by Wacom — makers of the incredible Wacom One! This week, a ComicLab listener asks if it's better to write from anger or from love. Also: Is January a bad time to launch a new webcomic?
Questions asked and topics covered...
- Which do you find more effective as a writer — comedy born from anger at something or comedy born from affection?
- Is January a bad time to launch a new webcomic?
- Finding a running gag
- Coping with "bad hands"
- Beginners should place less focus on social media
- Brexit will drastically change how you do international shipping starting January 1.
You get great rewards when you join the ComicLab Community on Patreon
- $2 — Early access to episodes
- $5 — Submit a question for possible use on the show AND get the exclusive ProTips podcast
- $10 — Record an audio question for possible use on the show AND get the exclusive ProTips podcast
- $50 — Sponsor the show! We’ll read a brief promo for your comic/product and read it twice during the show AND you get the exclusive ProTips podcast
Listen to ComicLab on...
ComicLab is hosted on Simplecast, helping podcasters since 2013. with industry-leading publishing, distribution, and sharing tools.
"What's the best way to read 'Evil Inc' from the beginning digitally?"
I received that message from a new Patreon backer recently, and I wanted top share the information here, in case you had the same question...
First off, Evil Inc started in June 2005 as a daily comic strip. In 2016, I ended the strip, rebooted all of the storylines, and relaunched Evil Inc as a graphic novel. The comic strip stuff is a fun read, but it really has nothing to do with the Evil Inc I’m doing today. As a Patreon backer, you have access to these archived strips on the Evil Inc site.
The Evil Inc website
You can read the entire rebooted series on the Evil Inc website if you start here: evil-inc.com/comic/introducing-the-new-evil-inc-graphic-novel If you’d prefer an ebook-style presentation, go to the Archive at evil-inc.com/ebook. All of those eBooks are free to read on the site — or you can buy them and download them to read on your digital tablet.
Also, I’ve been putting a bunch of work into converting the Evil Inc archives to a vertical scroll to make it easier to read on smartphones. If you visit Evil Inc on a smartphone, you’ll automatically be presented with a vertical scroll for all of the archived comics that I’ve converted — and it goes back pretty far (but not all the way to Jan 2016). So you can use either of those links above on your phone and get a vertical-scroll experience that makes it much easier to read.
If you’re a Patron backer, go here: patreon.com/guigar?filters[tag]=eComic and scroll down. Many (if not all) of the Evil Inc eComics have been offered as a free download in the past, and those links never expire! Most of these are full-page PDFs that work best on desktop or tablets. Only the most recent couple offer a Smartphone edition, but I'm working to expand that.